This cocktail is inspired by those blackcurrant pastille lollies that I was obsessed with as a kid. It has a sugar rim which complements this slightly sweeter style gin and the lime makes it taste a bit like a margarita. If you want some fruity, sweet with a hit of sour, this one’s for you!
The vibe: An afternoon aperitif in the Loire Valley, France
The drink: Tastes like a sweet blackcurrant margarita had a baby with some blackcurrant pastille lollies. Sweet with a hint of sour.
- 1 shot (30ml) of @tanquerayginau Blackcurrant Royale gin
- 1 shot (30ml) of simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water dissolved)
- 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon of sugar for the rim
- 3 fresh blackberries, 2 finely chopped for the cocktail and 2 for garnish
- 2 cups of ice
- Fill your martini glass with ice to chill down whilst you make your cocktail.
- Place gin, juice of 1 lime, finely chopped and muddled blackberries, sugar syrup and ice into a cocktail shaker. Close the lid and shake for 5-10 seconds until the shaker is fully chilled.
- Throw out the ice in your martini glass. Cut your second lime in half and cut a small slit across the diameter of one half. Turn your martini glass upside down and wet the rim of the glass with lime.
- Dip and twist the rim of the glass into a plate of sugar until the whole rim is covered in a sugar rim.
- Strain the cocktail into your glass.
- Use a peeler to peel a strip of lime zest. Use a knife to even out each side so you have a straight strip of lime zest. Use your fingers to twist the zest to create a spiral shape.
- Garnish with a blackberry dropped into the cocktail and place the twist of lime onto the edge of the glass.
Watch the process