Mulled Wine is a hot drink, normally had at Christmas time, where red wine is warmed and infused with fruits and spices. I’ve used Grand Marnier, a French orange liqueur in my version to make it more boozy and fruity! Its super easy and can be done in 5 minutes or prepared in advance and then warmed up just before serving.
Cooking Time- 10 minutes
Skill Level- Easy
- 1 bottle of medium to full bodied red wine. Shiraz works well. I’ve used- La Boheme (Act Four Syrah Gamay)
- ½ cup of sugar
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 5 star anise
- 10 cloves
- A pinch of finely grated nutmeg
- 2 oranges. You’ll need the peel of 1 orange and the other cut into slices.
- 3 shots of Grand Marnier
- Place the whole bottle of wine, ½ cup sugar, all the spices (3 cinnamon sticks, 5 star anise, 10 cloves, a pinch of finely grated nutmeg) and orange peel into a saucepan and heat on low-medium heat for 8 minutes until warmed up and the flavours have infused into the wine. Be careful not to heat the wine on high or allow it to get to boiling point otherwise you will cook off all the alcohol in the wine.
- Strain the wine and add in 3 shots of Grand Marnier just before serving. Grand Marnier is an orange cognac liqueur which adds more orange flavor to the mulled wine as well as increasing the alcohol content and making it boozier.
- Serve into glasses and garnish with a slice of orange and one of the cinnamon sticks you used in the cooking process.