Butterflied Prawns with Vegemite and XO Sauce
A flavour/umami packed marinade for the next time you grill some butterflied prawns.
Cooking Time- 20 minutes
Skill Level- Easy
Ingredients4 large banana or tiger prawns. I’ve used Size 8 Skull Island Prawns for this recipe.
Marinade50g of butter, melted1 teaspoon of Vegemite1 teaspoon of garlic, microplaned1 tablespoon of XO sauce
A few sprigs of coriander and spring onions, finely chopped
- Butterfly your prawns. To do this, cut down the length of the spine of your prawn starting from the end of the head all the way to the tail. Cut into the meat but not all the way through, stopping at the legs so they are still connected. Remove the intestinal tract and any other internal parts you don’t want to consume. Gently use your hands to open up the prawn so it lays flat like an open book.
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a bowl
- Drizzle and rub the marinade onto the flesh of the prawns and marinade for a minimum of 5 minutes.
- Heat your oven to 220 degrees celsius or heat a barbeque/weber until the same temperature.
- Cook the prawns on a baking tray in the oven lined with foil or straight onto a barbeque for 5-8 minutes or until the flesh is fully cooked turning fully opaque from translucent.
- Remove and place onto a platter and garnish with chopped herbs.
Watch the Process