Chicken, Corn & Egg Drop Soup
- 1 whole chicken
- 4-5 corn cobs
- 1 leek: keep the green stalks for the stock and wash the white stalks and cut into 2cm slices for the soup.
- 1 onion, peeled
- 2 carrots, peeled
- ¼ white cabbage, optional
- 3 bay leaves
- 2-3 tbsp of cornflour or tapioca starch mixed with 1 tbsp of cold water to create a slurry
- 4 eggs, roughly whisked
- 2 tbsp of fish sauce
- 1 tbsp of sesame oil
- 1 generous pinch of salt and white pepper
- 4 stalks of spring onions, finely chopped
- 4 stalks of coriander, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fried shallots
- 1 tbsp of chilli oil
Watch the process
- Prepare the chicken stock by placing in a large pot of salted boiling water, and boil for 10 mins until the chicken is opaque. Remove the chicken and place in a separate bowl. Pour out the water, clean your pot and fill it back up with boiling water. Boiling the chicken first helps get rid of any impurities and gives a clearer stock.
- Place your chicken back into the pot with the boiling water and add in the carrots, onion, leek stalks, corn, bay leaves and cabbage and simmer for 30 mins. Skim any impurities or foam sitting on the top of the stock with a spoon and discard.
- Remove the corn and chicken in a bowl/tray to cool down.
- Cut the corn kernels from the cob with a knife. I like to cut my corn inside a bowl/lipped dish to stop the kernels from flying everywhere on your kitchen bench. You can also pop the cut cobs back into your stock to extract more flavour. Set aside the kernels.
- Shred and set aside the chicken meat.
- Remove and discard the vegetables in the stock and bring the stock to the boil.
- Add in the leeks, corn and chicken, fish sauce and sesame oil and simmer on medium for 5 mins.
- Pour in the cornstarch slurry and mix to thicken the soup.
- Slowly pour in your eggs as you continuously stir the soup. The egg will turn into thin silky ribbons.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper as desired.
- Set aside half of the coriander and spring onions into a container for garnish. Place the remaining into the soup and sir to combine.
- Serve in bowls. Garnish with coriander, spring onions, fried shallots and chilli oil.
If you loved this recipe, you can always check out my other soup recipes here
Watch the process