Chinese Scallion Pancakes with a Chilli Oil Dipping Sauce
When it comes to breakfasts, Asian breakfasts are so underrated and incredibly delicious. These pancakes are crispy, flaky, spicy and best served with a chilli oil soy sauce.
Makes 6 pancakes
Cooking time 1hr, plus resting time
Skill level Easy
- 350g (2 1/3 cups) of plain flour
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 cup of spring onions, finely slived
- 150ml of hot water
- 100ml room temperature water
- 1 teaspoon of five spice powder.
- Sift your flour into a bowl, with a pinch of salt and 150ml of hot water and mix on medium speed for 1 minute or until the water combines with the flour.
- Add in another 100ml of room temperature water and knead for about 3 minutes on medium using the dough hook attachment, until all of the flour is incorporated.
- Shape the dough into a ball and cover the ball with a tablespoon of oil to prevent it from drying out. Cover with a tea towel and allow to rest for a minimum of 1 and a maximum of 24hrs. If resting overnight, cover with cling wrap and place in the fridge.
- Meanwhile make your spring onion paste by combining 1/3 cup of vegetable oil with your cup of spring onions, 2 teaspoons of salt, 1 teaspoon of five spice powder and heat in the microwave for 1 minute or until boiling.
- Mix in 1/3 cup of plain flour until full dissolved and a thick paste forms.
- Roll out your rested dough into a long piece and cut into 6 equal sections. Roll into balls and place onto a floured tray.
- Flour your bench and roll out one of your balls as thin as possible into a rectangular shape. Spread a spoonful of the spring onion paste and roll up your dough into a thick log.
- Then, take the log and begin wrapping it into a round swirl. Tuck the end into the middle and place onto a floured tray whilst you roll out the remaining 5 balls.
- Now, take your first swirled dough and roll out with a rolling pin on a floured bench until as thin as possible. Now you're ready to cook the pancakes!
- Heat a large fry pan with a tablespoon of oil, place your pancake dough in and cook for a few minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy. Cook the remaining pancakes.
- Cut your pancakes into quarters and serve onto a plate
- For the dipping sauce, combine a tablespoon of soy sauce with a teaspoon of spring onions and a few teaspoons of homemade chilli oil.
Watch the process