Crunchy & Crispy Oven Roast Potatoes
A crispy and crunchy roast potato is in my opinion one of the best ways to eat a potato and with this recipe you’ll agree! Crunchy and crispy on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside
- 1kg of chat potatoes
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 4 tablespoons of duck fat or ⅓ cup of olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- A few sprigs of your choice of herb: sgae, rosemary, thyme.
- 2 tsp of flakey salt
Watch the process
- Start by bringing a large pot of generously salted water to a boil for your potatoes.
- Meanwhile, place 4 tablespoons of duck fat or ⅓ cup of olive oil into a small saucepan and heat on low whilst you finely chop the 4 cloves of garlic and halve all of your potatoes (1kg). I like to use chat potatoes for this recipe.
- Once boiling, place a heaped teaspoon of baking powder in and then add your halved potatoes and blanche for 15 minutes or until soft when you prick the centre with a knife.
- Then add your chopped garlic to your saucepan with the heated duck fat or oil, add in a few sprigs of some optional herbs like sage or rosemary and allow it to infuse on low heat until the garlic is golden brown. Then using a funnel and sieve, strain the fat liquid into a jar and set the bits of garlic and herbs aside.
- Drain your potatoes in the sink and then shake them vigorously in your colander until the outside is fluffy. Add the potatoes to a large baking tray and spoon over the infused duck fat and flip each potato half side down on the tray. Roast in the oven at 200 degrees celsius and chuck in any leftover herbs to roast. Every 20 minutes check on them and flip them to another side so they can crispy up evenly.
- Sprinkle over the crispy garlic and herb bits and some flakey salt.