Fried Wonton Mille Feuille with Mango Crème Pâtissière
Cooking Time- 45 minutes
Skill Level- Easy
- 1 packet of wonton skins
- 1 cup of vegetable oil for frying
- 1 tablespoon of icing sugar
- 1 mango
- 1 lime
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup of caster sugar
- 3 tablespoon of plain flour
- 2 tablespoons of corn flour
- ½ cup of milk
- Prepare the crème pâtissière at least 5 hours before serving, ideally the day before.
- Peel the mango into cheeks and scoop all the flesh and place into a blender. Add the juice of 1 lime and then blitz until smooth.
- Beat the eggs in a mixer until creamy.
- Add the sugar and beat until pale and creamy
- Add the flours until combined.
- Add the milk until combined.
- Fold in the mango puree.
- Transfer mixture into a pan and heat on medium, continuously stirring with a whisk for about 3 minutes until the mixture thickens into a custard. As the mixture heats it will thicken very quickly so be sure to furiously whisk to prevent uneven lumps.
- Take off the heat and transfer to a bowl. Cover with cling wrap and allow to cool in the fridge completely- 3 hours.
- Fry the wonton skins by heating a pot with the oil (approx 3 cm in height) for a few minutes on high. Place a chopstick into the oil and if it starts bubbling, the oil is ready for frying.
- Take 10 of the wonton wrappers and using scissors, cut diagonally in half to create 20 triangles.
- Gently lower the wonton wrappers one at a time into the oil, frying on each side for 30 seconds until golden on each side. Drain on some paper towel and set aside.
- Before serving, remove the crème pâtissière from the fridge. The mixture will have set and become a very thick custard. Transfer to a mixer and beat for a minute until smooth again.
- Place into a piping bag with a round nozzle or use a snap lock bag with the corner snipped.
- To assemble: place down the wonton triangle, pipe a few blobs of the crème pâtissière, then top with another wonton triangle, pipe a pipe a few blobs of the crème pâtissière and top with another wonton triangle.
- Make 5 more.
- Dust the tops with icing sugar.
- Serve immediately.