The Perfect Grilled Cheese Toastie
How to perfect a cheese toastie as well as what I’ve put in mine for a spicy kick. I always love using mayonnaise for my toasties because I always have a jar in the fridge and find it quick and easy to spread. Also when you spread the mayo on both sides of the bread, it gives the outside a nice golden colour whilst the inside helps to fuse the melted cheese to the bread.Also here’s my recipe below for this quick and easy spicy toastie using up what I normally have lying around in my fridge and pantry.
2 slices of sourdough bread
1 heaped tablespoon of Hellmann’s whole egg mayonnaise
1 generous pinch of Chinese five spice powder
1 stalk of spring onion finely sliced
5 pickled jalapeno slices, roughly chopped
1 pinch of white pepper
¾ cup worth of your choice of cheese, freshly grated. I used a mix of cheddar, gruyere and mozzarella.
- Spread Hellmann’s whole egg mayonnaise on both sides of the pieces of bread.
- Sprinkle the inside with Chinese five spice, then with spring onion, jalapenos and white pepper.
- Add an even layer of shredded cheese to both pieces of bread.
- Heat a pan on high and add a dash of olive oil even spread with a paper towel to coat the entire pan.
- Add the pieces of bread into the pan and then immediately turn the heat to low.
- Allow 1 minute for the outsides of the bread to golden before covering with a lid for 2 minutes to help the cheese melt.
- Once the edges of the bread have melted, sandwich the two pieces together and gently push down and continue to cook for a few minutes, flipping a few times to allow the cheese inside to fuse and fully melt.
- Remove from the pan, cut down in the middle with a sharp knife and then allow the toastie to rest for a minute with the cut edges still touching.
- Pull the toastie pieces apart to get ‘that cheese pull’, place onto a plate and enjoy in the sunshine.
Watch the Process