Potato Salad with Crispy Pancetta & Sage
The perfect side dish to any Sunday night spread, this is my take on jazzing up the old school potato salad! You can make this dish as simple or extravagant as you like, whichever way, it's a guaranteed crowd pleaser.
- Baby Chat Potatoes
- 2 thick slices of Pancetta
- 50g Butter, I use Pepe Saya Cultured Butter
- 2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 small handful of sage leaves
- 1 small handful of tarragon
- 1/2 a Spanish onion
- 4 tablespoons of Mayonnaise, I use Japanese Kewpie Mayo
- 1 tablespoon of your choice of mustard, I use Hot English Mustard
- 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- salt & pepper to taste
- Halve some baby chat potatoes and bring a pot of salted water to the boil. Boil for 10 mins or until the potatoes are soft inside when pricked with a knife.
- Once ready, strain the potatoes into a colander, transfer to a bowl whilst they are still hot and add in 50g of butter cut into cubes into the same bowl.
- Mix in the butter until melted, the potatoes will absorb the butter and start to glisten.
- Cut 2 thick slices of pancetta into small strips, and add to a dry frying pan to render on medium heat for 5 minutes until golden brown. You don't need any oil in the pan because of the fat from the pancetta. Once cooked, drain the pancetta onto some paper towel. Keep the pan with the rendered fat, you will need this in the next steps.
- Thinly slice 2 cloves of garlic, and pick off a small handful of sage leaves. Throw the sage leaves into the same pan with the leftover fat you rendered your pancetta in on a low/medium heat. After 1 minute, add in the thinly sliced garlic and cook until golden and crispy. Drain onto a paper towel and set aside.
- To make the dressing, add all dressing ingredients to a bowl and mix well until smooth. Then add the dressing to the potatoes and mix until well coated.
- Add in your finely chopped Spanish onion and Tarragon, and top with the crispy garlic, pancetta and sage leaves.