Prawn & Ginger Wontons
Dumplings and Wontons are actually one of the easiest meals to make, for this recipe all you need is seven ingredients and 30-minutes! I like to double the recipe and freeze half for those days when you really can’t be bothered to cook.
Makes- 20 wontons
Cooking Time- 30 minutes
Skill Level- Easy
- 500g of prawns, peeled and deveined
- 1 packet of wonton wrappers
- 1 large piece of ginger, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons of sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons of chilli oil
- Halve your prawn mixture, blitzing half of it into a smooth paste in a food processor and hand chopping the other half. You’ll get a nice contrast in texture between the smooth paste and the little chunky prawn bites.
- Finely grate in your ginger using a microplane or by finely mincing with a knife.
- Add in 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of the cornstarch, the sesame oil and mix to combine. Add in a pinch of cracked pepper too.
- Combine the remaining tablespoon of cornstarch with a tablespoon of warm water and mix until you get a smooth slurry. This will be the glue to seal the wonton ends together.
- Separate your wonton wrappers onto a tray covered with a tea towel so they don’t dry out.
- Spoon a heaped teaspoon of the prawn mixture into the centre of your wonton wrapper. Dip the tip of your finger into the cornstarch mixture and trace along the edge of the wrapper.
- Fold in half and seal so you now have a triangle wonton. Gather and pinch each of the ends of the wonton so you have two pleats on either side. Pinch to seal and place onto a tray whilst you fold the remaining wontons.
- Boil a pot of water and gently lower in your wontons, about 5 at a time for a small pot, making sure not to overcrowd the pot. Wontons will rise to the top once they are cooked which will take approx 4 minutes. Remove using a slotted spoon and place onto a plate.
- Drizzle over a generous amount of chilli oil, a few spoonfuls of soy sauce and some optional garnishes of coriander or finely sliced spring onions.
- Enjoy immediately!
If you liked this dish, you can try my Pork & Prawn Dumpling recipe