The key to packing flavour into this simple 15 minute pasta is in using the prawn heads and rendering them in some good quality olive oil which creates a fragrant prawn oil and becomes the base of the sauce.
Cooking Time- 20 minutes (10 mins each for prep and cooking)
Skill Level- Easy
- 200g of linguine
- 300g (10) of raw prawns, peeled, deveined and roughly chopped
- 10 reserved prawn heads from your shelled prawns
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon of chilli oil. I use @chillioiloneverything
- 1 large fresh red chilli, finely sliced
- 6 sprigs of flat parsley, finely chopped
- Zest and juice of a lemon
- Boil a pot of salted water and cook your linguine until al dente- approx 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large pan with oil on medium, add in your prawn heads and render them in the oil for 5 minutes on medium-low until the prawn heads are golden brown, the oil is fragrant and turns orange. Use the back of a spoon to squish the heads down into the pan to allow the prawn heads to infuse.
- Remove the prawn heads from the pan and add in the garlic, chilli oil and half of the fresh chilli and cook on medium-low for a few minutes to sweat and become aromatic.
- Add in your prawns, cooking for 1 minute until the meat turns opaque from translucent before adding in the linguine with a few ladles of the starchy pasta water and cooking for a further minute to allow the linguine to soak up some of the sauce.
- Stir in the remaining chilli, the parsley, zest and juice of the lemon and turn off the heat. Season to taste.
- Serve onto plates with an extra drizzle of chilli oil or olive oil.
Watch the process