Profiteroles with Crème Pâtissière
I have a soft spot for this dessert because it’s one I’ve grown up making with my late grandma and mum, it’s one that still gets made to this day. It is also the perfect size and perfect bite of dessert for me, but at the same time, I can easily eat a dozen in one go, they're that good. The crispy airy choux pastry outer contrasts with the silky custardy crème pâtissière laced with some optional dark rum. You can dip the tops in chocolate, but I think this combo is all you need. Whilst the name sounds fancy and difficult, it’s actually easy to make once you learn the process. All ingredients are standard pantry and fridge staples, you’ll need a few tools like a piping bag and nozzle to pipe the pastry and crème.
Makes- 25 medium sized profiteroles
Cooking time- 1 hour, plus 45 mins baking/cooling time
Skill Level- Medium
Watch the process
1 cup of water
1 cup of plain flour, sifted
½ teaspoon to 1 teaspoon of baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon of plain flour
2 teaspoons of tapioca flour
1.5 cup of milk
1 cup of caster sugar
1 tablespoon of vanilla essence or 1 vanilla pod
1 tablespoon of rum
Choux Pastry Method
- Put water and butter in a saucepan. Bring to a boil until dissolved.
- Turn off the heat and add in the plain flour into the saucepan. Mix till you get a ball of dough and allow to cool down for a few minutes.
- Add 1 egg at a time and mix into the dough with a whisk or stand mixer.
- Add baking powder and a pinch of salt and mix well.
- Place the dough into a piping bag and pipe into circular blobs on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake at 200 degrees for 15 minutes and then reduce heat to 180 and bake for another 20 minutes until the pastry is crunchy, dry and golden.
Crème Pâtissière Method
- Beat eggs until creamy. Add sugar and mix till smooth and sugar has all dissolved.
- Add in the two types of flour and mix well.
- Add milk and put it on the stove on medium heat. Add in the vanilla and stir constantly until thickened.
- Add in the rum and allow to cool completely.
- Place into a piping bag and pipe into the choux pastry balls.
- Serve Immediately!