Roast Beetroot & Blood Orange Salad
Winter Salads don’t need to be boring. This is one that I like to make to serve alongside a steak for dinner. During the winter, my local market sells the most incredible blood oranges and their golden and purple beetroot looked so delicious, so I decided to put them together into a fresh winter salad.
- 3 blood oranges, 2 peeled and cut into thick slices, plus the zest and juice of the other
- 4 roasted beetroots, I used a mix of golden and purple ones
- 1 cup of rocket
- 1 square of Meredith Goat’s cheese
- ¼ cup of roasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- ¼ red onion finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 small handful of your favourite herbs. I used mint and some micro herbs but you could use any.
- Prepare your roasted beetroot in advance. Wash them with the skin on and simply cut into quarters, coat in olive oil and some salt and bake in an oven at 180 for 30 minutes or until just tender. Remove and allow to cool down.
- Prepare 2 oranges by cutting off both ends and removing all of the skin with a knife. Cut into 2cm thick slices for the salad.
- Place your rocket onto a platter.
- Arrange your beetroot and oranges on top.
- Scatter the red onions and goat’s cheese on top.
- Sprinkle over the hazelnuts for crunch.
- Drizzle some olive oil, grate over the zest of your remaining orange and then squeeze the juice over the salad as the dressing.
Watch the process