Smashed Chick Pea on Toast
Canned Chick Peas are a staple in my house and I always have some in my pantry to add into a dish, but I thought I’d challenge myself to make something more than just a usual chick pea salad or hummus out of it. This is a play on the smashed avocado toast with a similar composition but then the easy process of the viral feta pasta. This would be perfect for a summer brunch spread with friends, or something you can make for yourself to enjoy over a few meals.
Skill Level: Easy
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 2 cans of @edgellau chick peas, rinsed - one for smashing and one for roasting.
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 whole head of garlic - cut in half for roasting
- ½ cup chopped coriander & basil, plus sprigs for serving
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 punnet of tomatoes
- 100g of goats cheese
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 4 slices of your choice of bread, toasted
- Optional spices, ½ tsp of each: sumac, cumin, sweet paprika and smoked paprika
- 1 tsp of chilli oil, for serving
Watch the process
- Rinse 2 cans of chick peas in water. Then add 1 can of chick peas to an oven tray, add a drizzle of olive oil and your choice of spices (I’ve gone with cumin, sumac, smoked paprika and sweet paprika). I’ve transferred mine into two different trays to ensure that the chick peas are evenly spread out. Roast in the oven for 20 mins or until nice and crispy.
- In another oven tray, add in 1 punnet of tomatoes, garlic bulbs from a whole head of garlic, 2 lemon peels, 50g of goats cheese and a drizzle of olive oil and roast for 20 mins.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 can of rinsed Edgell chick peas, salt & pepper, 50g of goats cheese, oil, lemon zest, and the juice of half a lemon. Smash with a fork until the mixture is well combined.
- Slice your bread, and pop into the toaster. Then start to prepare the bunch of asparagus by cutting off the ends. Once the tomatoes have been cooking for 15 minutes add in the asparagus, and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, finely chop your herbs, add more lemon juice to your smashed chick pea mixture to taste and set aside.
- Take your roasted chick peas and roasted tomatoes out of the oven. Remove the garlic cloves, and finely chop them before adding them to the smashed chick pea mixture.
- Divide the smashed chick pea mixture among each toast (you may have some leftovers depending on the size of your bread). Then top with the roasted tomatoes, roasted chick peas and asparagus. Garnish with some chilli oil, salt and herbs.