Spicy Prawn Linguine
Never throw out your prawn heads! They are the best and quickest way to add flavour to your sauce. Rendering these down with olive oil creates a bright orange prawn oil that is the perfect base for your sauce!
Cooking Time- 30 minutes
Skill Level- Easy
- 200g of linguine
- 300g of raw prawns, shelled and deveined
- The reserved prawn heads of your shelled prawns (approx. 15)
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of my homemade Chilli Oil or 1 teaspoon of dried chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 can (400ml) of crushed tomatoes
- 1 punnet of cherry tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of anchovy paste or 2 teaspoons of fish sauce, optional
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 small bunch of curly parsley, finely chopped
- 1 small bunch of fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons of freshly grated parmesan cheese, optional
- Peel & devein 300g of prawns, don't throw out the prawn heads these will become the base of the sauce.
- Heat a large pan with oil and once hot, add in the prawn heads cooking for 5 minutes or until the prawn heads are golden brown and the oil turns orange.
- Remove the prawn heads and cook the 4 finely chopped garlic cloves and chilli oil for 1 minute on medium.
- Meanwhile boil a pot of salted water and cook your linguine till al dente.
- Add in 1 tablespoon of tomato paste and cook for another minute on medium and then add in 1 can of crushed tomatoes and bring to the boil.
- Add in 1 punnet of cherry tomatoes, half of the parsley, 1 teaspoon of anchovy paste/fish sauce and cook for 5 minutes on medium or until the tomatoes start to soften and blister.
- Taste your sauce and season with sugar to balance the acidity of the tomatoes as well as some salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in your prawns, cooking for 1 minute before adding in the linguine with some pasta water and cooking for a further minute to allow the linguine to soak up some of the sauce.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the remaining parsley, fresh basil leaves, and cheese.