Dutch Baby Pancake
An impressive yet simple recipe to make your mum’s Day for Mother’s Day. You can prepare the batter the day before so that all you have to do on the day is cook it in the oven and serve for a fuss free meal.
Makes/Serves- 1 large Dutch baby that can serve 2 for breakfast or dessert
Cooking Time- 30 minutes
Skill Level- Easy
- ½ cup of plain flour, sifted
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup of milk
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Assorted berries: strawberries, raspberries and blackberries
- Raspberry jam thinned out with a dash of water so the consistency is a but more syrupy
- 2 teaspoons of Gewürzhaus Cardamom Pistachio Sugar
- 2 teaspoons of Gewürzhaus Lavender Sugar
- 2 teaspoons of icing sugar for dusting
Watch the Process
- Add sifted flour, salt and sugar to a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the eggs and whisk to combine into a paste.
- Slowly pour in the milk and whisk until smooth and there are no lumps. This batter can be made in advance and if you’re planning to serve it in the morning, you can prepare the batter the night before and chill in the fridge until you’re ready to bake it.
- Preheat the oven to 210 degrees celsius fan forced with your cast iron skillet inside.
- Once the oven reaches 210, carefully pull out the hot skillet and place your butter onto it allowing it to fully melt into the pan.
- Quickly pour the batter into the pan with the butter and place into the oven, closing the door. Make sure you place your pan on an oven rack that has plenty of space above as the Dutch baby will triple in height. I had to lower my top rack down to allow for ample space.
- Cook for 18 minutes until the sides are golden and the middle has cooked through.
- Pull out of the oven and allow to rest for 2 minutes.
- Top with berries, jam, sugars and serve immediately.