Vietnamese Style Beef & Green Mango Salad
Serves- 2 as a main, 4 as a starter
Sharing how to make my recent @foodforeveryone.aus collaboration recipe poster! The perfect summer salad dish.
Cooking Time- 30 minutes
Skill Level- Easy
Beef & Marinade
- 200g of eye fillet beef, Cape Grim preferred
- 1 teaspoon of chilli oil, @chillioiloneverything of course
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, finely blitzed in a food processor
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Thai sweet green mango (reference image below)
- 1 carrot
- 1 bunch of your choice of herbs: coriander, vietnamese mint and mint
- 1 fresh long red chilli
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon of peanuts, roasted and crushed
- 1 disc (tablespoon worth) of palm sugar (reference below)
- 1 tablespoon of fish sauce (Three crabs is the preference below)
- Juice of 1 lime
Watch the process
- Marinate your 200g eye fillet beef in 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp chilli oil, pinch of salt, 2 cloves of crushed garlic and 1 stalk of finely blitzed lemongrass and allow to marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes or overnight.
- Finely peel and julienne 1 green mango and 1carrot.
- Wash and roughly chop your herbs: coriander, mint and Vietnamese mint.
- Finely slice ½ red onion and soak in water to remain crunchy.
- Finely slice 1 fresh long red chilli.
- Roast 1 Tbsp peanuts in a pan on medium till golden. Remove from the pan, place into a mortar and pestle or into a snap lock bag and crush.
- Make your dressing by placing 1 disc of palm sugar and a tablespoon of water into a bowl in the microwave for 10 seconds or until melted. Add in 1 Tbsp fish sauce and the juice of 1 lime until you get a balance of sweet, salty and sour.
- On a searing hot BBQ or pan, cook your eye fillet 2 minutes on each side, medium rare.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes before finely slicing into thin strips.
- Assemble your salad by tossing the mango, carrot, drained red onion, half of the chilli and herbs in the dressing. Arrange onto a platter and layer the slices of beef on top. Garnish with the crushed peanuts, remaining red chilli and a few herbs.