Chả Cá Lã Vọng (Vietnamese Turmeric Fish with Dill and Noodles)
A fresh, fragrant and flavour packed Vietnamese dish, originating from Hanoi.
- 2 fillets (500g) of Rock Ling, cut into 5cm pieces
- 1 bunch of dill, roughly chopped into 8cm lengths
- 1 bunch of spring onions, roughly chopped into 8cm lengths
- 1 packet of rice vermicelli noodles
- ½ cup of Vietnamese Dipping Sauce
- ⅓ cup of roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 1 5cm piece of ginger, skin removed and roughly sliced
- 1 5cm piece of galangal, skin removed and roughly sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 piece of fresh turmeric or 2 teaspoons of ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons of Greek yoghurt
- 2 teaspoons of olive or vegetable oil
- 2 sprigs of dill
- 1 small stalk of spring onions
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce
- Generous pinch of salt and pepper
Watch the process
- Place all marinade ingredients into a food processor and blitz until smooth.
- Pour into a bowl with the fish pieces and mix so the fish is completely covered in the marinade. Allow to marinate in the fridge covered for at least 1.5 hours.
- Boil a pot of water and cook the rice vermicelli noodles for a few minutes until soft. Drain into a colander under cold water to rinse out an excess starch and to prevent the noodles from cooking further.
- Heat a large pan with some olive oil and begin frying the fish pieces in batches, cooking for 2 minutes on each side on medium/high heat. Be careful not to overcrowd the pan otherwise the fish will steam versus fry. Transfer the fish to a plate once cooked and give the pan a quick clean before heating again.
- Add in a little bit of olive oil and then throw in the spring onions and dill sautéing for 2 minutes until soft, then quickly add in the fish and allow to cook for another minute or two. Turn off the heat.
- To assemble, divide the rice noodles into bowls, then top with pieces of fish, dill and spring onions, scatter over some fresh mint and peanuts, ladle over a few spoonful's of Vietnamese dipping sauce and serve immediately.
If you want to try more of my Vietnamese Recipes, you can find some of my most popular dishes below;
- Vietnamese Stuffed Cabbage Soup (Canh Bắp Cải Gói Thịt)
- Pork & Prawn Rice Paper Roll
- Grilled Prawn Vermicelli (Bún Tôm Nướng)
- Egg Bánh Mì
- Cơm Tấm (Vietnamese Broken Rice)
- Vietnamese Style Beef & Green Mango Salad
- Bún thịt nướng
- Bún Chả Giò-(Vietnamese Spring Roll Noodle Bowls)
- Thịt Kho Trứng (Vietnamese Braised Pork Belly & Eggs)
- Cháo Gà (Vietnamese Chicken Congee with a Poached Chicken Slaw)
- Bò Kho (Vietnamese Spicy Beef Stew)
- Vietnamese Crispy Pork Belly Infused with Vodka
- Lemongrass Pork Rice Paper Rolls
- Vietnamese Vegetarian Spring Rolls
- Bánh Xèo (Vietnamese Sizzling Crepes)
- Vietnamese Pork and Prawn Salad with Black Sesame Cracker
- Nước chấm - Vietnamese Dipping Sauce