Vietnamese Vegetarian Spring Rolls
Serves- 4 as a main, 6 as a starter
Cooking Time- 45 minutes
Skill Level- Easy
- 1 packet (50 wrappers/250g) of spring roll wrappers
- 1-2 cups of neutral tasting oil (vegetable, canola)
Spring Roll Filling
- 1 carrot, finely grated
- 8 x dried Chinese brown or shitake mushrooms, rehydrated and finely chopped
- ½ of a wombok/chinese cabbage
- 150g of taro, finely chopped
- 1 bunch of enoki mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 small bunch of coriander, finely chopped
- 4 stalks of spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons of corn flour
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- Salt, pepper and sugar to taste
- 1 head of lettuce, washed
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers cut into batons
- Fresh coriander (from the bunch above)
- Add all fillings ingredients: carrot, cabbage, mushrooms, spring onionl into a bowl and mix until combined. If you’re using dried mushrooms, submerge them into a bowl of boiling water and allow to rehydrate for 10 minutes. Squeeze out excess water and dry on a paper towel before finely chopping.
- Once you combine all ingredients, you may find that it is quite wet, so you a colander or paper towel to pat off excess moisture.
- Add in the sesame oil, egg and 1 tablespoon of corn flour to bind the mixture together. Adjust with a generous pinch of salt, pepper and sugar to taste.
- Add half a tablespoon of water into a small bowl with the remaining corn flour and stir until combined. You will use this mixture to seal the spring roll ends so they don’t unravel.
- Gently peel your spring roll wrappers apart one at a time from the pack and cover with a damp tea towel to avoid them drying out. Get ready to roll!
- To roll the spring rolls. Place a heaped teaspoon onto one of the corners of the square wrapper and roll into a cigar shape. Fold each of the ends into the middle like a burrito and roll all the way down until there’s no wrapper left. Dip your finger into the corn flour mixture and dot the end corner of the wrapper to seal the end and prevent the spring roll from unravelling. Continue rolling spring rolls until there is no filling left.
- To fry, place about 1-2 cups of neutral oil (vegetable or canola) into a pot and heat. Your oil is ready when you place the end of a chopstick into the oil and it starts bubbling.
- Gently drop batches of 6 spring rolls at a time and fry for 5-6 minutes on medium. Don’t have your oil on high otherwise the wrapper will cook too quickly whilst the filling on the inside will not cook entirely. Also use tongs or chopsticks to turn the spring rolls every minute to ensure they cook evenly.
- Once golden brown, remove from the oil and place onto a tray lined with paper towel to drain off excess oil for a minute.
- Serve hot and immediately with some fresh lettuce leaves, cucumber cut into batons, fresh coriander and some Vietnamese Dipping Sauce